The ginger snap crust is unexpected and hot, like a star. The creamy filling is like the band of light in the center of our galaxy, the Milky Way. The sweetness of the caramel entwined with the richness of the bittersweet chocolate remind you of the choices you’ve made.
Galaxy Pie Recipe
# Stellar Gluten – free Ginger Snap Crust
- 2 cups ground gluten-free ginger snap cookies (around 40 cookies) (Trader Joe’s brand are the
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Pulse the cookies and sugar in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Slowly add the melted butter until moist clumps form.
- Press the mixture into a lightly greased pie plate.
- Bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Cool, like the crust of a newly-formed planet.
# Cosmic Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Whip cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, beat together cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- Mix whipped cream with cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the cream cheese filling into pie crust, almost to the top.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.–
- Remove the pie at least 20 minutes before you serve it.
Make the sauces on the stove
# Caramel Swirl
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mix the water and sugar in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a medium brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Slowly (and carefully) add the cream and the vanilla. Simmer until the sauce is smooth and thick.
# Bittersweet Chocolate Swirl
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Slowly melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water.
- Stir in sour cream, sugars and heavy cream.
- When fully blended, stir in vanilla.
When the caramel and chocolate sauces are still warm, but not hot, drizzle in a swirled pattern over the cream cheese mixture.
Throw a few pieces of a broken toffee bar on top if you like, to represent the randomness of the universe.
Galaxy Pie, by Tricia Martin